Tuesday, November 18, 2008

i believe there are Angels in Heaven

Today is November 18th. Early in the morning a year ago today my Grandpa Rex Lyman Anderson passed away peacefully. I'd be lying if i didn't say that this had been on my mind a lot these past couple of days. I keep going back to a year ago and all the little amazing miracles that took place surrounding all of it. I read Angie's post from last year and really just felt grateful. How lucky am i to have been born into such a great family and to have such an amazing grandpa!


Last year i knew i was going to be going home for American Thanksgiving, but i wasn't too sure who i would ride with. My ride ended up leaving the Friday before The Thanksgiving weekend, meaning i would miss some school, but i decided it would be the best decision. My mom had been in Raymond helping out with things for a couple of weeks and when i was in Montana i decided that i would meet her off the highway and go see Grandpa Anderson in Raymond. The following is what i wrote in my journal about what happened next...

"I left on November 16th and on the way home mom called me and i decided to go meet up with her in Raymond, Grandpa really wasn't doing good. I went. he couldn't talk anymore since earlier that day and i just held his hand. He was so skinny and frail looking it broke my heart. The next morning me and Dallin helped hold him up while my mom put lotion on his back, and he moved his hands so they patted me on my leg. i could barely feel it because he was so weak, but i realized he wanted me to hold his hand. So i held it. Holding his hand i felt him barely squeeze it, and i looked up at him and he was looking at me and i just knew that that was his way of saying 'i love you' to me even though he couldn't talk anymore"

I am so grateful for the special time i could spend with him and to know that he loved me so much. That saturday i got to go to "the ridge" and ride around and see all the land that he used to own. It was so fun and helped me really feel close to him.
Mom stayed in Raymond and I went home Saturday night. We said a family prayer that night and the next morning we all seemed to be awake in bed and then soon found out that Grandpa had passed away.


How lucky was it that i was at home when all this happened? What a miracle that all the family could come and be there.


I am really happy that the year before all of this i had made my trips to raymond more frequent and spent more time with Grandma and Grandpa. The year since all of this has been such a growing one for me. Sometimes i feel strength in me that i know is not my own. I know Grandpa is looking out for me and blessing me continually. I hope that i can do things that would make him proud and i try to work hard because i learned from him the value of hard work

12 comments:

.Ang. said...

I am so grateful for Grandpa and Grateful that Tyken got to spend that week and a half with him in heaven before he finally showed up!

The night of the funeral i was SURE i was going to have him. I had contractions the ENTIRE DRIVE HOME! but he still waited a week. They must have needed some extra quality time together!

I know he is in a better place, and I know he is still watching over us!

I am so grateful that you were able to see him and feel his love and help comfort him before he passed away.

Thank you for this wonderful post!

It was perfect!

I love you!

Judy Takahashi said...

Thanks for remembering...your post means so much to me.
I love you Alana.
Mom

Sara said...

I cried. you're journal entry was perfect. I love you.

Erika said...

ALANA!!! I bawled through this whole entry. I dont know how, but somehow I had forgotten that happened a year ago today.

I know he watches over us too. It's nice to have family watching over when there isnt anyone else.

You were lucky to have that experience with him in his last few hours here on earth.

thank you for the reminder. I need it!

I love you and I cant wait until we are together in a few days!

I LOVE YOU

Wilma said...

I cried too. What a wonderful man you Grandpa Anderson was and I believe he is watching over you and how pleased is must be with you to know that he remember him so fondly.

Burgess Family said...

What fond memories of your grandfather...thanks for sharing them with us.

Love the photos...and love you for the special person you are.

KandyJill said...

Alana, that is such a touching post! It's amazing the way the Lord puts tender mercies in our lives to help us treasure little moments! Your grandpa sure has an amazing granddaughter!

hybridge said...

Thanks for the post Alana. Its good to remember grandpa. He was a great man and a great example.

Your title also reminded me of the following song.

I believe there are angels among us.
Sent down to us from somewhere up above.
They come to you and me in our darkest hours.
To show us how to live, to teach us how to give.
To guide us with a light of love. - Alabama

Elder Holland also gave a wonderful talk about angel being among us.

jacquirae said...

I love you alana. Sorry I forgot to read this when you told me. Beautiful post. :) You are so thoughtful and perceptive.

kristi Dupont said...

What a beautiful post Alana. I remember visiting your grandparents with you guys on numerous occasions, i remember the zip line by their house, the large garden out back and having to bit my tongue after teasing your uncle about having a name that rhymed with tyrannosaurus rex.......only to have it brought to my attention that your grandpa to had the name Rex and he so happened to be sitting right there behind me...... I remember that look in his face as i slowly turned around with shame, only to see his eyes staring back at me.....he smiled as if to say "its okay, i have a sense of humor too".......
your grandpa was a great man, i know he would be proud of you Alana ;)
Thanks for sharing this beautiful tribute to him
Love you lots
Kristi

Dallin said...

Thanks for posting this Alana. That was truly a special time we were able to share with him! Thanks so much for reminding me! We had one amazing grandpa

Sue Brett said...

I'm your distant cousin and you may not know me, I'm your Mom's cousin. You're Grampa was truly an inspiration to so many people, it also had a big impact on the next generation. You were Blessed to have a Mom and Grandpa like him. Everyone loves the Rex Andersons!!