Thursday, October 17, 2013

An Update - Although not thorough

There is so much to blog about and write about.  After over a month of living in a different country than Luke, we finally made our way to Utah last week.  My parents are amazing and made a quick trip over their Thanksgiving weekend so I didn't have to drive alone, and helped SO much with Tracen.  We had a couple of stops and were able to see Mike, Jamie, and most of the Gathers and eat some delicious food.  

We were finally reunited with Luke in Roosevelt, Utah, a small town that reminds me of Radiator Springs from Cars before they were inspired to fix everything up (it is probably nicer than that - but that is what I thought of when I saw it).  Roosevelt is where Luke's office is, and we ate dinner at The Pelican, and Dad was pleasantly surprised that his burger was "actually good", he kept saying how he felt like he was in a movie because everything was just so different there.  

Then it was on to Vernal, Utah - where we will be living.  We checked into our hotel and went on a tour of the town.  I am glad that Vernal is bigger, and it feels more "normal" if you ask my Dad.  It was hard to say good-bye to my parents, and the reality that I live in Vernal, Utah started to set in. 

Due to some things that need to be re-done and finished  in our place, we haven't been able to move in like we were supposed last Friday, so we have been living in hotel rooms.  Tracen enjoys having a pool.

Unfortunately, the weather has been a little rainy, and with access to mostly just summer clothes, we have been stuck inside most of the day.  Being in a hotel in Roosevelt really limited outings.  Also, eating out for almost every meal gets kind of old, especially when you usually like to eat at home to avoid exposing the public to your child's messy and crazy eating behaviours.  

So far we are surviving.  I am surprised at how difficult it has been to be without a home to go to.  In Calgary, we were at my parents, and it was home, but hotels just aren't the same.  I am grateful that we don't have to pay for the hotels and that we can be together as a family again.

Luke had to be in Denver this week for work, and so Tracen and I decided to tag along.  It has been nice to be in a different hotel and the drive here was so beautiful.  It really made me miss home as we drove through the mountains.


Downtown Denver, the only part I have seen, feels just like Calgary.  We arrived here, and were not able to check into our room yet, and Luke had a meeting.  So Tracen and I took off with the stroller to explore 16th Avenue Mall (just like Stephen Avenue Mall, there is even an earls) and see what we could find.  There was lots of shopping, lots of places to eat, and we stopped in Barnes & Noble's twice to find some warmth and somewhere to sit and relax.  I was more than grateful when Tracen finally fell asleep in the stroller, he was exactly what you would think a 2 year old would be like after waking up at 5 am and not having a nap before crashing.

Luke had a late dinner "meeting" (I think he got back to the room at 11pm) and I was happy to have the hotel bring us a tray of chocolates, my name wasn't on the card, but it was all over that chocolate.  

We are supposedly moving into our place when we get back on Friday, but we are still without a fridge, so when Luke heads to Calgary for work next week, I am planning to crash in Rexburg, with a stop in SLC and Provo I am sure - I guess I am not done living like a gypsy yet.


3 comments:

Mariko said...

this sounds exhausting!! I hope you get settled in soon!

Radfords said...

Finally got caught up on your blog!! I can't tell you how glad I am that you are an avid blogger! Sure makes this living apart thing bearable! :) Can't wait to party in Vernal! you just give us the 'go ahead!'

Wilma said...

Those chocolates are so cute! Presentation, presentation, presentation.