Sunday, November 1, 2015

Canadian Thanksgiving



 Nothing makes me feel homesick like the holidays, especially the ones that are celebrated in Canada, and not in the USA.  I had my first bout of real homesickness since moving to CO when Thanksgiving *in Canada* was coming up.  We were still in our tiny apartment with our table that fit only 3 chairs and I wanted to celebrate with our friends but we couldn't fit any in our place to eat, with all our kids.  I decided that I could at least bake a pie, and hope that would make me feel better.  Our friends invited us for dinner on the Sunday before actual Thanksgiving and asked me to bring the pie.  When we walked around to the backyard we were welcomed with even MORE friends and "OH CANADA" playing.  I was trying so hard not to cry and just felt so overwhelmed with the love I felt. 

Luke and I have both felt it and expressed it to each other a few times, but we know that we are in the right place for us right now.  It is hard being away from family, but nothing beats that feeling like this is where we are meant to be.  It doesn't hurt that our friends all live away from their families too, so it makes us all a little more like family.  

Big thanks to the amazing friends we have made, and the way they took us under there wing and made a Canadian Thanksgiving to remember and even more to be grateful for.
















The food was all so amazing! I need to get recipes for everything, and we already had a girls morning learning how to make the buns (or rolls in the US) that Amanda amazed us all with.  And thanks to Suzy for literally being a professional photographer and getting some photos of the day!



4 comments:

Mariko said...

These pictures are amazing! The setting, the food, and friends, all look perfect!

Radfords said...

This is the best, and makes me feel all happy inside!! Talk about amazing friends... And pictures too...magazine quality! So glad you are in your forever home and have made forever friends! And yes, also very jealous!

Jordan Osborne said...

so happy you guys got to celebrate! I miss Canadian Thanksgiving! Sounds like you have some great friends in CO.

KandyJill said...

So fun! What awesome friends you guys have made there! It's so true... it's hard living away from family, but when the friends around you are away from their families to... you get a sense of family among your friends! So glad you guys have made such good friends there!