Sunday, December 3, 2017

Christmas around the world - Scandinavia (feeding the birds)

When learning about Scandinavia I read a few places that they always remember to feed the birds and other animals during the Christmas season.  Often they even have a meatless meal (sometimes Christmas Eve) to help honor the animals.  

We read "Message of the Birds" by Kate Westerlund and I was surprisingly touched by this simple book.  I think it was because of the reminder that the heart knows all languages and that we should be more like children.  

 We decided to make some birdseed ornaments to feed the birds.  The whole process of feeding the birds did take 24 hours as we had to let our ornaments firm up over night. 



As there aren't too many birds around our house this time of year, we went to golden gate canyon road and to mt Galbraith to hang our ornaments.  As we walked down the trail to find some trees to hang them on we could hear the creek and that was about it. 








As we were walking back to the creek to throw some rocks, Rai noticed that there were lots of birds singing and chirping and flying around.  it felt pretty magical and Rai is convinced that they were coming for the food we brought, he yelled to them over and over "Birds, we brought you yummy food!"

And then we spent a good amount of time throwing rocks into the little creek.  Rai was "teaching" Mylo how to do it. 






I definitely think that I want to make this a yearly tradition. 

Birdseed ornament recipe


2 comments:

Erika said...

what a great idea and what cute boys. When you said rai is teaching mylo to throw rocks, it reminded me how you taught me how to do pretty much everything. That little rai guy is so much like you! Maybe thats why I love him so!

Laura Dunford said...

I wish my mind could come up with these kind of ideas for my kids. That tree full of ornaments for the birds is so stinkin' cute! Also, if you haven't had to wash that hat (that I'm pretty sure is from H&M because we have one..) beware that the little brown circle piece on it totally bleeds. H&M replaced that hat for us two winters back because I was ticked that one wash ruined it. We took it off when we got our new one and I like it much better now :)